Friday, October 24, 2008

Entertaining Read

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

If you are ever looking for a fun, easy, entertaining read...this is the book for you. The other night, I sat reading just a few short chapters...laughing out loud uncontrollably for a good 10 minutes (keep in mind, I was by myself...try not to judge me for being ridiculous.)

To give you a taste of the amazingness of this book....A few excerpts from the chapter titled "Well, Doctor, I was just trying to lie down..." about the ridiculous amount of injuries inflicted by consumer products.

"Consider this intriguing fact: Almost 50,000 people in the United States are injured each year by pencils, pens, and other desk accessories. Ho do they do it? I have spent many long hours seated at desks where I would have greeted almost any kind of inury as a welcome diversion, but never once have I come close to achieving actual bodily harm." (pg. 18)

"I would also welcome a meeting with almst any of the 263,000 people injured by ceilings, walls, and inside panels. I can't imagine being hurt by a ceiling and not having a story worth hearing. Likewise, I could find time for any of the 31,000 people injured by their 'grooming devisces.'" (pg. 19)

"But the people I would really like to meet are the 142,000 hapless souls who received emergency room treatment for injuries inflicted by their clothing. What can they be suffering from? Compound pajama fracture? Sweatpants hematoma? I am powerless to speculate." (pg. 19)

This is most definitely worth a read.

*On a side note....On Sunday afternoon I was so exhausted I walked into my own refrigerator....Just straight up walked into it. I have now become a statistic...


No comments: