Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Tradition

This fall a tradition started at my house.  Every Thursday, friends in the area gather at my house for dinner and to watch....The Office (one of the greatest shows ever, thank you very much.) 


To be honest, I didn’t think it would become a tradition, but I think it’s GREAT that it has, for so many reasons: It gives me an excuse to cook (I love cooking, but it seems a little silly when cooking for one), It gives me a chance to catch up with friends, and last but certainly not least....The Office is way more funny when watched with friends.


As this tradition has developed, I have enjoyed noticing some things about great friends and great friendships

  • The door is always open.  People come on over whenever, let themselves in, and make themselves at home.  I LOVE it!
  • The door swings both ways.  I know I am welcomed to their places whenever the opportunity comes up.
  • They move from “guest” to “family.”  They know to help themselves to drinks, snacks, blankets, and pillows.
  • No lost time.  No matter how long it’s been since we’ve seen each other or talked, we pick right back up where we left off.
  • Great friends have earned the right to push, poke, and challenge.  They can say things that I may not like, but I know that they still love me.


I am thankful for friendships like these.  They encourage, challenge, and strengthen me.


*Side note: I also found out this week that some friends of mine are actually attending a Journey Class on Friendship at GCC.  How cool is that?!?!

2 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

That was an incredible journey class. The best one I've experienced so far. Loved it!

sarah said...

i just hope that the tradition includes you making sure your steps are clean.

i mean you want to make sure your friends are able to get into the house and that they decide to continue coming over because you've created such a safe environment for them.

not like i speak from experience or anything. its not like i still have a huge technicolored bruise on my knee or anything...