Thursday, June 4, 2009

Great Leaders

Each of my summers at camp, I have been blessed with incredible staff leadership...people from within the ranks of the summer staff who step up to lead and supervise during the summer program. They've been AWESOME!

This year is no different. I've got motivated, hard-working, self-starters who are working hard already to make sure things go well for training and the entire summer. Working alongside them this week has made me sit back and think about what qualities I have valued in the leaders I've worked alongside over the past 2 1/2 years.
  • I value people who try to lighten someone else's load. Their attitude is, "It's got to get done, so let's get it done. We can either keep pushing and do this now, or someone else will just have to do it later. Let's serve the staff by taking care of this before they even know about it." How great is that!
  • I value people who think outside the box. I get stuck in my plans and my way of doing things. They point out other options that I hadn't considered. Together, we come up with a great solution rather than settling for a good solution.
  • I value people who challenge the process while still respecting authority. They question and offer alternatives. But bottom line....they know where the authority to make the final call lies, and they submit to and follow that.
  • Every single one of them is unique! They all bring something different to the table. IT's in that balance that I think great things happen.
My leaders are here. My staff arrive Saturday. We've been planning, preparing, and praying all year for what begins in less than 48 hours. I can't wait to see the staff come together, the directors arrive, and the campers meet Jesus.

Camp is here! It's going to be awesome.

1 comment:

Josh Kennedy said...

i miss staff... sniff....